Ever wondered why your ethnic dishes do not quite taste and smell ethnic though you followed the ethnic recipe (handed down by your grandmother or extensively researched over the internet) to the letter? The answer comes from an unexpected source – from Einstein’s very own mouth: “God lies in the Details.” And when it comes to Indian cuisine the detail would very much read as ‘Masala’
Just like Dal, different parts of India follow different methods while preparing Garam Masala. With Durga Puja just around the corner, we thought it would be apt to begin with the recipe for Bengali Garam Masala. The flavored and aromatic Bengali version can be used for marinating fish, chicken and mutton. It can also be used in vegetables and curries in the end for that extra punch and aroma.
- 4 dried whole red chilly
- 3 tbsp sesame seeds (til)
- 2 tbsp black peppercorns
- 2 tbsp white peppercorns
- 1 tbsp cloves (laung)
- 2 cinnamon stick (dalchini)
- 10 small green cardamom (elaichi)
- 1 tbsp cumin seeds (jeera)
- 1 tbsp coriander seeds (dhaniya)
- 3 bay leaves (tej pata)
- 1 tbsp ginger
- Roast all ingredients in a dry pan (except ginger) over a low heat.
- When the spices give out their aroma, allow it to cool.
- Using your Usha Grinder, grind the ingredients finely, while adding ginger. (Mustard oil can be added to make a paste. This paste can be used as a marinade.)
- Store it in air tight container in a cool dark place.
To get that perfect taste and aroma remember the portion used is as important as the ingredient itself. For the former closely follow the recipe at hand and as for the latter using the Usha Mixer Grinder will make your work a lot easier. The new Usha Mixer Grinder (MG 3473) adds a revolutionary new dimension to the art of food preparation with its Vortex Pulsar Technology (VPT). VPT disperses high energy with super turbo rotations to help achieve the perfect texture, colour and aroma for your Masalas and Chutneys. While, the Mixer Grinder’s 2 Fin Coconut Blade has been specially designed with sharp and robust blades to help you achieve the desired outcome smoothly.
USHA Mixer Grinder with Vortex Pulsar Technology
Cod Fellas, Cod Father, Frydays, Frying Squad and Plaice to be, are names of a few Fish & Chips outlets in Great Britain. The British have a colourful tradition of giving quirky names to their Fish & Chips outlets. Almost considered to be their national dish, it can be traced back to the 1860’s. Before that though Brits did eat Fish and Chips they were never consumed together. The idea to pair them into a single dish was a brilliant one – and even found its way into classic English literature, the most famous being in a Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens.
An apt course for parties, supper or a quick lunch the Fish and Chips are not as unhealthy as you think; unlike other fried dishes, an average portion of fish, chips and peas contains only 7.3% fat.
Ingredients :(Serves 4 persons)
- 500 gm fish fillet (boneless) – cut into 8 rectangular pieces
- ½ cup flour (maida)
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- ½ tsp salt, ½ tsp pepper
- ¼ tsp pepper, ¼ tsp salt
- 2 eggs, 6 tbsp flour (maida)
- 1 tbsp oil
- 2 pinches baking powder
- 2 pinches salt n pepper
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- Wash the fish fillet and pat dry on a kitchen towel.
- Marinate the fillet with salt, pepper and lemon juice. Keep aside for 10-15 minutes.
- Mix all ingredients of the batter to get a thick coating batter. Rest for 10-15 minutes.
- Spread some flour in a plate. Dredge the fish fillet in the flour thoroughly.
- Leave it on the flour till you are ready to serve.
- Dip the fish fillet in batter.
- Set the Usha Deep Fryer knob at 170C and wait till the red light turn green.
- Deep fry fish pieces for 4 minutes till cooked through and golden.
And that’s how you cook this legendary English dish. Try it as a welcome break from your Butter Chickens and Machar Jhol.
Lemon and Dill fish is amazing; it is one of those rare dishes which break the “better it taste, the worse it is for your health” rule. And it is really very simple to cook making it the perfect dish both for parties and stay at home dinners.
- Fish Fillet of Beckti or Sole 800gm
- Fresh dill or dried dill powder 10gm
- Lemon Juice 1oml
- Grated lemon rind 10gm
- Salt to taste
- Eggs 2nos
- Bread Crumbs (white) 125gm
- Olive Oil (for frying) 600ml
- Salt & pepper to taste
- In a flat dish marinate the fish filler with dill, lemon juice, grated lemon and salt and refrigerate.
- In another shallow dish, beat the eggs.
- Take out the fish fillet and dip fish into beaten eggs, then coat with bread crumb mixture
- Heat oil in a pan on Usha Cookjoy Induction Cooker and fry the fish fillet to golden brown
- Serve with tartar sauce, lemon wedge and vegetable salad.