Strawberry Oatmeal Breakfast Smoothie is the ideal morning drink for the family. It is great for those who love a quick nutritious breakfast on the go and those who relish a long extended breakfast. It will please even those little kids who won’t touch anything on their plates unless there is something exotic on the table.
The Usha Juicer Mixer Grinder 3274 is ideal for making this healthy and delicious potion in a jiffy. Its stylish look and safety lock make it perfect for the breakfast table ensuring there is never any spillage. The JMG 3274 also features a large feeder tube for full fruit juicing; for you are bound to skip between strawberries, apples, oranges and pears as days come and go. It will also help you to meet all your other needs – breakfast, lunch or dinner – from juicing, grinding, and mixing to light grinding and mincing.
- 8 strawberries (diced)
- ½ cup skim milk
- ½ cup plain yoghurt
- Use Mawana Select Sugar to taste
- 2 drops vanilla essence
- 6 ice cubes (crushed)
- In a blender combine strawberries, milk, yogurt, Mawana Select Sugar and vanilla. Toss in the ice.
- Blend until smooth and creamy. Pour into glasses and serve.
Cod Fellas, Cod Father, Frydays, Frying Squad and Plaice to be, are names of a few Fish & Chips outlets in Great Britain. The British have a colourful tradition of giving quirky names to their Fish & Chips outlets. Almost considered to be their national dish, it can be traced back to the 1860’s. Before that though Brits did eat Fish and Chips they were never consumed together. The idea to pair them into a single dish was a brilliant one – and even found its way into classic English literature, the most famous being in a Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens.
An apt course for parties, supper or a quick lunch the Fish and Chips are not as unhealthy as you think; unlike other fried dishes, an average portion of fish, chips and peas contains only 7.3% fat.
Ingredients :(Serves 4 persons)
- 500 gm fish fillet (boneless) – cut into 8 rectangular pieces
- ½ cup flour (maida)
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- ½ tsp salt, ½ tsp pepper
- ¼ tsp pepper, ¼ tsp salt
- 2 eggs, 6 tbsp flour (maida)
- 1 tbsp oil
- 2 pinches baking powder
- 2 pinches salt n pepper
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- Wash the fish fillet and pat dry on a kitchen towel.
- Marinate the fillet with salt, pepper and lemon juice. Keep aside for 10-15 minutes.
- Mix all ingredients of the batter to get a thick coating batter. Rest for 10-15 minutes.
- Spread some flour in a plate. Dredge the fish fillet in the flour thoroughly.
- Leave it on the flour till you are ready to serve.
- Dip the fish fillet in batter.
- Set the Usha Deep Fryer knob at 170C and wait till the red light turn green.
- Deep fry fish pieces for 4 minutes till cooked through and golden.
And that’s how you cook this legendary English dish. Try it as a welcome break from your Butter Chickens and Machar Jhol.
The beauty of Garlic Bread is that it can be eaten with just about anything. It can be a part of a very outlandish gourmet four course meal, munched simply with a Coke and pizza or just on its own. Originating in the South of France it has not only invaded our meals and Dates but also our vocabulary – the British Comedian Peter Kay’s line, “Garlic Bread, it’s the future, I’ve tasted it” was voted the greatest one-liner in TV comedy history in 2007.
The great thing about Garlic Bread is that everybody loves it from kids and adults to bums and gourmet connoisseurs. Better still you can serve it anytime, anywhere – after-school meal for kids, Evening Snacks, Supper, High Tea, Picnic and so on and so forth. Here is a simple way to make them using the Usha Halogen Oven.
- 1 garlic bread loaf
- 50 gm butter
- 100 gm mozzarella cheese – grated
- 50 gm cheddar cheese – grated
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp garlic paste
- 1 tsp red chilli flakes
- ½ tsp oregano
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 2 pinches of salt
- Cut loaf into ½’ thick slices.
- Put butter and all other ingredients in a bowl. Beat with an electric mixer till smooth.
- Place bread slices on the high rack in the oven. Press the pizza button and set time to 3 minutes. Let temp be 210°C.
- Press start and bake for 3 minutes.
- Take out the baked bread from the oven and spread cheese mixture on the untoasted side of the bread.
- Put bread back in the oven and again bake on pizza mode (210°C) for 3 minutes or till golden.
A quick snack or a Gourmet side dish, the choice is yours.
Why Amazing? Because we will be attempting something, which others have never thought about!
Most people find the Rice Cooker a boring old device, using it simply to cook its namesake dish -Rice. However, you will be surprised what the Rice Cooker can do if you get a little creative. Beginning from Chocolate Cakes and Banana Bread to exotic dishes like Cheesy Jalapeno Bread and Black Bean Chilly, your Rice Cooker can make all these and more.
Feeling Adventurous? Good, let’s try our hand at the Chocolate Cake. The only difference between baking a Chocolate Cake in a Rice Cooker as against an Oven is the time required: The Rice Cooker takes way more time, but that is compensated by the original taste of the freshly baked ingredients. Call it a type of Slow Organic Cooking if you like, which is as healthy, as it is tasty. To borrow Carlo Petrini’s words ( founder of the International Slow Food Movement) “The quest for slowness, which begins as a simple rebellion against the impoverishment of taste in our lives, makes it possible to rediscover taste.”
- 135 gm dark chocolate
- 95 gm butter
- Butter for Coating
- 100 gm icing sugar
- 2 egg yolks + 2 whole eggs
- 35 gm flour
- Begin by coating the rice cooker bowl with a layer of butter.
- Mix the ingredients properly till they begin to fan
- Place the mix in the rice cooker bowl.
- Place the bowl in the rice cooker and push the cook button.
- Now wait, it could take anything between an hour to two, depending on your Cooker settings.
- Insert a toothpick into the cake to check if it is ready. If the toothpick comes out clean and dry, your cake is done
- Once cooked flip the bowl upside down onto a flat plate and serve
Now, wasn’t that easy? It took a little longer than the usual Over baked cakes but nonetheless here you are surrounded by the freshly baked aroma of a lovely cake. Take a bite to savor the flavors, and you realize the wait was completely worth it! Next we will teach you to cook something yet more exotic with your Rice-Cooker.
Like you, we too get dumbfounded by the price of Brownies at the chic coffee outlets. The outlets, we must admit are nice and decent, but still that doesn’t give them an excuse to charge astronomical sums for a single brownie. It is just not fair, especially if you have kids who are madly and deeply in love with Fudge Brownies. And who knows how healthy these ‘brownies for sale’ are. Besides being healthy the warm smell of fresh home baked Brownies is a delight in itself. It’s time to wow your kids and friends with your Fudge Brownies over a cup of coffee or a glass of milk.
Ingredients: Makes 10
- 100 gm butter, 1½ cups brown sugar
- 2 eggs, 1 tsp vanilla essence
- ½ cup maida (flour), ¼ tsp baking powder,
- ½ cup cocoa
- ¾ cup walnuts – cut into small pieces or crushed roughly with a rolling pin
- A square tin (7”X 7”)
- Melt butter in a deep pan on low heat. Add brown sugar. Mix well with a wooden spoon on very low heat for about 5 minutes till well blended. Remove from fire and cool completely.
- Add one egg. Mix well with a wooden spoon. Add the second egg and mix again. Add essence.
- Sift flour, baking powder and cocoa together.
- Keeping aside ¼ cup walnuts, add the rest of the walnuts to the maida and mix well with the hands.
- Mix the flour mixture in the butter-egg mixture very gently with a spoon.
- Line and grease a loaf tin. Transfer the cake mixture in it to get 1″ thick layer of the mixture. Sprinkle the remaining walnuts.
- Place on the low rack in the Halogen oven. Press speed up mode and set for 40 minutes at 140°C. Press start to bake.
- When the beep comes remove from oven. Check with a tooth pick. Leave to cool for 5-10 minutes in the tin.
- Remove from tin. Cut into squares to serve.
Baking them in the Usha Halogen Oven makes the whole process real easy. Besides unlike your normal oven it can be used for various other purposes to cook up recipes ranging from regional dishes to global favorites.
There is nothing French about French Fries! To begin with they originate in Belgium and are simply called French Fries because they happen to be deeply fried. During the good old days everything deep fried was supposedly French fried! And therein lies the rub: the word ‘fried’ has a billion unhealthy connotations tied to it. Did you know that the name KFC, was officially adopted in 1991 from Kentucky Fried Chicken, as people got more health conscious? And no company wanted the word ‘fried’ anywhere near their finger licking dishes.
Digressions aside, let’s get back to our yummy French Fries. Let us admit it that no matter how many labels we put on French Fries, kids, you and me will continue to relish them, be it at home or at a fast food joint. The least you can do is, make these fries healthier without compromising on taste. But how do you cook French Fries without the unhealthy frying bit? Well, you do it with very little oil instead of the gazillion liters generally used to fry them. And that’s child’s play if you are using a Usha Halogen Oven, just follow these simple steps:
- 15-200 gms of Frozen French Fries
- Just 1 teaspoon of Oil!!
- In a mixing bowl add frozen French fries, and just a single teaspoon of oil and mix well.
- Next place the French fries on an oiled steaming tray
- Now place the steaming tray on the high rack
- Select speed up on Halogen Oven panel for 4 minutes at 230 degree C. You could add an extra minute to brown them further.
Wait with mouthwatering anticipation! Eat healthy without an ounce of guilt.
For Other Halogen Oven Recipes Click Here
School’s out for summer and your kids are home running around helter-skelter doing what these agents of chaos do best. The only respite you have is when they finally settle down in front of the Television to catch a glimpse of their favorite toon or action hero. Only to be tricked by those clever commercials featuring treasures of sweets and then they are at it again, now demanding that they be taken out for a treat. It is 40 C outside and there is no way in hell you are ready to step out, let alone take a 10 mile ride to the nearest Baskin Robbins or Mc Donald’s. Life is hard! But help is at hand: this delicious Vanilla Cherry Cake recipe is meant for times like these, easy to make and awesome to taste, it is going to be your savior this summer.
For those using the Usha Halogen Oven life gets even simpler, all you need to do is press Cake Mode, stand back and relax, to return 40 mins later to a beautiful Vanilla Cherry Cake. And it is not just Cakes you can make with this Kitchen Appliance there is a lot you can cook from Pizzas and French Fries to Pies and Pasta – in fact everything that your kid will ever demand this summer. In all earnest the Halogen Oven can be aptly re-named as the Kid’s Food Factory!
- ½ tin condensed milk (milk-maid), ½ cup milk, approx.
- ½ cup (75 gm) white butter, 3 tbsp powdered sugar
- 100 gms (1 cup) maida , ¼ cup cornflour
- ½ tsp level soda-bicarb, 1 tsp level baking powder
- 1 tsp vanilla essence, 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- A big baking tin of 7-8” diameter
- 10-12 glace cherries – cut into thin round slices, 1 tsp maida
- Grease and dust a round cake tin of 8” diameter.
- Sift maida with cornflour, soda-bicarb and baking powder. Keep aside.
- Mix sugar and butter. Beat till very fluffy. Add milk-maid. Beat well.
- Add 3-4 tbsp maida and mix. Add half the milk. Beat well. Add essence.
- Add the remaining maida and the milk beating well after the addition.
- Beat well for 3-4 minutes till the mixture is smooth and light.
- Mix cherries with 1 tsp maida to coat dry fruits.
- Add half of the cherries to the batter and mix well.
- Pour the batter in a greased and lined tin.
- Sprinkle the left over cherries on the cake to cover it well. Put the cake tin on the low rack in the oven. Press cake mode. Set the temperature to 150°C and time to 40 minutes and press start to bake. When the beep comes, check with a tooth pick.
- Leave to cool for 5-10 minutes in the tin. Remove from tin on to a wire rack
It is ready to be served to bring down the temperature a lot of notches lower, in more than one sense.