Water is the most essential nutrient for our body and is crucial to our survival. Drinking an adequate amount of water to keep the body hydrated is the first essential step towards enjoying good health.
Why Is Hydration Important?
Good hydration allows our body to perform at an optimal level, control its temperature and process every biological, chemical and mechanical process taking place within it. Hydration facilitates the following functions in our body:
- Carry Oxygen: Water helps to deliver oxygen all over the body
- Boost the Brain: Since almost 77 – 85% of our brain consists of water, better hydration improves mental acuity. It also helps our brain to create hormones and neurotransmitters
- Metabolize Fat: Adequate intake of water makes our kidneys and liver work efficiently and optimizes excess fat metabolism
- Improve Digestion: Water breaks the food components down and helps to boost the digestive process and nutrient absorption in the body.
- Enable Better Detox: Water helps to flush out toxins and waste material from our body.
- Keep the Bones and Joints Happy: Water lubricates our joints and minimizes pain and wear and tear caused due to friction.
- Regulate the Body Temperature: Hydrations controls spikes and drops in body temperature and affects respiration and sweating.
- Make Cells Grow: Water allows the body’s cells to grow, reproduce and live
- Lessen the Impact of Injuries: Water acts as a shock absorber for the brain and spinal cord and lessens the impact of injuries
- Keep your Skin Soft and Supple: Water prevents dryness and the onset of wrinkles. Well hydrated skin looks smooth, healthy, glowing and young!
If the body is a machine, any deficiency or loss of water can cause a malfunction or downtime.
Another important fact to note is that while a large percentage of our body is comprised of H2O, we also losing this essential nutrient constantly and in multiple ways – while or without doing any laborious work – and mostly without being aware of it.
Therefore, replenishing that lost water is crucial to our overall well-being!
Importance of Proper Hydration at the Workplace
Staying hydrated at work might seem like a challenge for most of us. Besides, even if our daily job keeps us behind a workstation all day, it’s so much easier to grab a quick cup of coffee or a can of soda and skip a glass of water, isn’t it? Well, that’s where the problem lies! By the time we manage to chug a sip or two of water, we are already dehydrated and that’s what makes us feel tired and sluggish.
Did you know that dehydration is one of the main reasons why we have an unpleasant day at work? Not drinking enough water can trigger immediate problems such as headaches, joint and body ache, fatigue, lack of concentration and short term memory loss, as well as feelings of nausea – in short, the ultimate #buzzkill formula that leaves us with an irritable mood and a bad day at work. Bad mood equals less productivity as well as unnecessary altercation with colleagues.
Can Office Water Coolers Solve the Problem?
Yes! The office water cooler might have a bad reputation for being a place where employees kill time, however, in actuality it can do just the opposite! Statistics show that offices with a water cooler actually get more work done as compared to those without one!
When employees are properly hydrated, they feel good, think quick and work well.
Plus, they are less likely to guzzle down calorie-laden sugary drinks if they have easy access to fresh, clean drinking water at the touch of a button.
Also, it’s cheaper (read mostly free) for us to grab a glass of water than to run down to the cafeteria for a can of soda!
The mother of all benefits – for those of us trying to lose/watch our weight, a water cooler at the workplace would encourage a higher intake of water to keep those mean calories in check.
All-in-all, water coolers promote a culture of staying hydrated and help to constantly replenish the H2O loss by dispensing cool, clean and fresh drinking water. This not only improves our health, mood and workability at the office but also our lifestyle outside of work.
Explore Usha’s wide range of water coolers today to choose one that will keep your employees healthy, hydrated and happy!