Ever wondered why your ethnic dishes do not quite taste and smell ethnic though you followed the ethnic recipe (handed down by your grandmother or extensively researched over the internet) to the letter? The answer comes from an unexpected source – from Einstein’s very own mouth: “God lies in the Details.” And when it comes to Indian cuisine the detail would very much read as ‘Masala’
Just like Dal, different parts of India follow different methods while preparing Garam Masala. With Durga Puja just around the corner, we thought it would be apt to begin with the recipe for Bengali Garam Masala. The flavored and aromatic Bengali version can be used for marinating fish, chicken and mutton. It can also be used in vegetables and curries in the end for that extra punch and aroma.
- 4 dried whole red chilly
- 3 tbsp sesame seeds (til)
- 2 tbsp black peppercorns
- 2 tbsp white peppercorns
- 1 tbsp cloves (laung)
- 2 cinnamon stick (dalchini)
- 10 small green cardamom (elaichi)
- 1 tbsp cumin seeds (jeera)
- 1 tbsp coriander seeds (dhaniya)
- 3 bay leaves (tej pata)
- 1 tbsp ginger
- Roast all ingredients in a dry pan (except ginger) over a low heat.
- When the spices give out their aroma, allow it to cool.
- Using your Usha Grinder, grind the ingredients finely, while adding ginger. (Mustard oil can be added to make a paste. This paste can be used as a marinade.)
- Store it in air tight container in a cool dark place.
To get that perfect taste and aroma remember the portion used is as important as the ingredient itself. For the former closely follow the recipe at hand and as for the latter using the Usha Mixer Grinder will make your work a lot easier. The new Usha Mixer Grinder (MG 3473) adds a revolutionary new dimension to the art of food preparation with its Vortex Pulsar Technology (VPT). VPT disperses high energy with super turbo rotations to help achieve the perfect texture, colour and aroma for your Masalas and Chutneys. While, the Mixer Grinder’s 2 Fin Coconut Blade has been specially designed with sharp and robust blades to help you achieve the desired outcome smoothly.