Like you, we too get dumbfounded by the price of Brownies at the chic coffee outlets. The outlets, we must admit are nice and decent, but still that doesn’t give them an excuse to charge astronomical sums for a single brownie. It is just not fair, especially if you have kids who are madly and deeply in love with Fudge Brownies. And who knows how healthy these ‘brownies for sale’ are. Besides being healthy the warm smell of fresh home baked Brownies is a delight in itself. It’s time to wow your kids and friends with your Fudge Brownies over a cup of coffee or a glass of milk.
- 100 gm butter, 1½ cups brown sugar
- 2 eggs, 1 tsp vanilla essence
- ½ cup maida (flour), ¼ tsp baking powder,
- ½ cup cocoa
- ¾ cup walnuts – cut into small pieces or crushed roughly with a rolling pin
- A square tin (7”X 7”)
- Melt butter in a deep pan on low heat. Add brown sugar. Mix well with a wooden spoon on very low heat for about 5 minutes till well blended. Remove from fire and cool completely.
- Add one egg. Mix well with a wooden spoon. Add the second egg and mix again. Add essence.
- Sift flour, baking powder and cocoa together.
- Keeping aside ¼ cup walnuts, add the rest of the walnuts to the maida and mix well with the hands.
- Mix the flour mixture in the butter-egg mixture very gently with a spoon.
- Line and grease a loaf tin. Transfer the cake mixture in it to get 1″ thick layer of the mixture. Sprinkle the remaining walnuts.
- Place on the low rack in the Halogen oven. Press speed up mode and set for 40 minutes at 140°C. Press start to bake.
- When the beep comes remove from oven. Check with a tooth pick. Leave to cool for 5-10 minutes in the tin.
- Remove from tin. Cut into squares to serve.
Baking them in the Usha Halogen Oven makes the whole process real easy. Besides unlike your normal oven it can be used for various other purposes to cook up recipes ranging from regional dishes to global favorites.