There is nothing French about French Fries! To begin with they originate in Belgium and are simply called French Fries because they happen to be deeply fried. During the good old days everything deep fried was supposedly French fried! And therein lies the rub: the word ‘fried’ has a billion unhealthy connotations tied to it. Did you know that the name KFC, was officially adopted in 1991 from Kentucky Fried Chicken, as people got more health conscious? And no company wanted the word ‘fried’ anywhere near their finger licking dishes.
Digressions aside, let’s get back to our yummy French Fries. Let us admit it that no matter how many labels we put on French Fries, kids, you and me will continue to relish them, be it at home or at a fast food joint. The least you can do is, make these fries healthier without compromising on taste. But how do you cook French Fries without the unhealthy frying bit? Well, you do it with very little oil instead of the gazillion liters generally used to fry them. And that’s child’s play if you are using a Usha Halogen Oven, just follow these simple steps:
- 15-200 gms of Frozen French Fries
- Just 1 teaspoon of Oil!!
- High Rack
- Steaming Tray
- In a mixing bowl add frozen French fries, and just a single teaspoon of oil and mix well.
- Next place the French fries on an oiled steaming tray
- Now place the steaming tray on the high rack
- Select speed up on Halogen Oven panel for 4 minutes at 230 degree C. You could add an extra minute to brown them further.
Wait with mouthwatering anticipation! Eat healthy without an ounce of guilt.