School’s out for summer and your kids are home running around helter-skelter doing what these agents of chaos do best. The only respite you have is when they finally settle down in front of the Television to catch a glimpse of their favorite toon or action hero. Only to be tricked by those clever commercials featuring treasures of sweets and then they are at it again, now demanding that they be taken out for a treat. It is 40 C outside and there is no way in hell you are ready to step out, let alone take a 10 mile ride to the nearest Baskin Robbins or Mc Donald’s. Life is hard! But help is at hand: this delicious Vanilla Cherry Cake recipe is meant for times like these, easy to make and awesome to taste, it is going to be your savior this summer.
For those using the Usha Halogen Oven life gets even simpler, all you need to do is press Cake Mode, stand back and relax, to return 40 mins later to a beautiful Vanilla Cherry Cake. And it is not just Cakes you can make with this Kitchen Appliance there is a lot you can cook from Pizzas and French Fries to Pies and Pasta – in fact everything that your kid will ever demand this summer. In all earnest the Halogen Oven can be aptly re-named as the Kid’s Food Factory!
- ½ tin condensed milk (milk-maid), ½ cup milk, approx.
- ½ cup (75 gm) white butter, 3 tbsp powdered sugar
- 100 gms (1 cup) maida , ¼ cup cornflour
- ½ tsp level soda-bicarb, 1 tsp level baking powder
- 1 tsp vanilla essence, 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- A big baking tin of 7-8” diameter
- 10-12 glace cherries – cut into thin round slices, 1 tsp maida
- Grease and dust a round cake tin of 8” diameter.
- Sift maida with cornflour, soda-bicarb and baking powder. Keep aside.
- Mix sugar and butter. Beat till very fluffy. Add milk-maid. Beat well.
- Add 3-4 tbsp maida and mix. Add half the milk. Beat well. Add essence.
- Add the remaining maida and the milk beating well after the addition.
- Beat well for 3-4 minutes till the mixture is smooth and light.
- Mix cherries with 1 tsp maida to coat dry fruits.
- Add half of the cherries to the batter and mix well.
- Pour the batter in a greased and lined tin.
- Sprinkle the left over cherries on the cake to cover it well. Put the cake tin on the low rack in the oven. Press cake mode. Set the temperature to 150°C and time to 40 minutes and press start to bake. When the beep comes, check with a tooth pick.
- Leave to cool for 5-10 minutes in the tin. Remove from tin on to a wire rack
It is ready to be served to bring down the temperature a lot of notches lower, in more than one sense.